Tuesday 11 February 2014

Maid Of The Mist: The Myth, The Mob and The Mozzarella by Colin Bateman

Apologies for the delay. I have been rather lazy this week and only jut got around to actually finishing a book, very rare for me to take more than a week to read one! Unless it is huge. With many, many pages. Or tiny, tiny print. I'm like an old woman. Anyway, back to the review.

So this week I read a book by a man who has recently become one of my favourite authors. Colin Bateman, or Bateman as he mostly goes by, is famous for writing the book that spawned Murphy's Law. He has written a load of books which I am slowly working my way through ever since reading one of his novels called The Prisoner Of Nurse Brenda. I nearly wet myself several times on the train it was so funny. Believe me, that wouldn't be a good look. Although I guess most commuters wouldn't even notice. Many have that vacant 'get me off this train' look. Dammit, got distracted. ANYWAY.

Maid Of The Mist. Beautiful cover designs.


As I was saying, I have read many of his novels and have found them all mostly hilarious. There are a couple of them that have been a bit hit and miss, but mostly they have been fantastic. Colin Bateman has a fantastic way with words. I have never read an author so brilliant at comic timing, as well as using his sarcastic tone to fine effect, even when the situation really doesn't call for it. There have been a couple of times I have had to suppress a laugh, which again, is not something I want to be seen doing on the train...

The first thing that always strikes me about his books is the wonderful cover artwork that can be found on the latest editions from the publishers. Credit to James Edgar. I've put a few more of his beautiful covers below for you all to marvel at (and then go and read them okay they are all engrossing reads).



Some more great artwork by James Edgar

So once you've stopped staring at the covers, you get through to the book, the one being in question Maid Of The Mist. The book centres on Frank Corrigan, an ex- Irish policeman who has moved to Niagra, the town not the waterfall before you ask, to lead a quieter life. Cue the opposite of this taking effect. Most of Bateman's books that I have read so far feature tragic male leads, mostly Irish, with plenty of mention of the Troubles throughout. This continues, and although if you read a few of his books in succession, these themes could get old, you would be surprised how each time a new angle is drawn upon it.

Typical Bateman, the novel is full of hilarious one liners in times that do not call for it. One of my absolute favourites is (prepare for crudeness) "Katharine had her top off and Pongo's cock in her mouth'. Utterly brilliant. The plot centres around Frank's investigation of a woman falling over the falls and surviving, going onto believe that she is a Native American princess of old local fables. On the way, we meet many fascinating characters, something that Bateman is always consistent at. From the faded rock star Pongo to the nosy journalist Madeline, Bateman always writes characters that intrigue, not just through their stories but through the fantastically written dialogue that flows better than the currently flooded Thames.

Corrigan must tackle an international drug ring that he believes is masquerading as a conference that has rolled into town. As is typical for Bateman, the main character is constantly hindered by both the good and bad throughout. This does not relent in Maid Of The Mist. Along on the way, Frank meets characters from Bateman's past novels although you wouldn't know it if you hadn't read them. Bateman so subtly interweaves them into the plot that I almost missed them. But it was a great touch. And it made me think just how many good books he has produced, as well as the fact that his characters left such an impression on me that I remembered them during cameos.

So Maid Of The Mist is just another brilliant book that I can cross off my Bateman list. I am waiting for one book of his that I do not enjoy at all. I don't want him to think that I am some sort of stalker. I have literally read at least 10 of his books in the past 4 months. Maid Of The Mist is full of everything that Bateman, for me, is an artist at. Memorable characters, undeniable wit, violent undertones and presenting contemporary  issues (Ireland and journalism especially) all mixed in with bringing down crime, not often in the best way. A brilliant mix if you ask me. READ, READ READ.

I highly recommend some of his other novels: I Predict A Riot, The Prisoner Of Nurse Brenda, Empire State. Some of my favourites of his.

Maid Of The Mist is published by Headline in the UK. Available online and in stores today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment